The primary purpose of the Director of Preconstruction is to lead, manage, and hold the preconstruction team accountable to the entire Preconstruction process for projects that have reached feasibility and are in the Develop/Commit stages of our proven process. The Director of Preconstruction reports to the Integrator.
- Conduct themselves in alignment with the Downing Core Values
- Manage estimators, project coordinators, and at times Project Managers as well as additional resources to coordinate preconstruction services to deliver superior responses at the lowest reasonable cost in compliance with contract documents and quality measurements
- Accept ultimate accountability for all preconstruction efforts produced by all lines of business
- Create and implement training and development plans for estimators to improve the preconstruction process and individual development of all direct reports
- Review prospective bidders lists and implement upcoming bid follow up process on all projects to ensure adequate bid coverage is consistently being provided by all estimators.
- Review estimates at completion for accuracy, potential low coverage/scope gap items, and any non-procured quotes that have been filled with allowances and/or plug numbers.
- Consistently coordinate with Director of Operations and Integrator on potential manpower related coverage scenarios to ensure adequate manpower is being accounted for in estimates.
- Ensure adherence to subcontractor prequalification requirements prior to the award of any subcontract
- Ensure that all critical items identified by CDM’s and Downing Studio team members on the Project Workflow Document are accounted for in each invitation to bid created by the estimators.
- Support business development by maintaining client relationships, offering technical expertise and advice during the entire timeline from opportunity, to pursuit, and execution of awarded contract
- Attend and participate in business meetings, industry events and conferences to promote Downing in and around its target markets
- Provide leadership to the preconstruction team that enables a collaborative, positive, responsive environment
- Review conceptual and pragmatic design documents to determine both the nature and scope of the work to be performed
- Assist in determining project feasibility
- Prepare accurate conceptual budgets based on the nature and extent of the scope of work by directing design efforts to minimize costs while meeting project requirements
- Coordinate with the preconstruction and project/design teams to provide constructability reviews during all phases of design
- Coordinate with the preconstruction and project/design teams to produce and maintain detailed preconstruction schedules from schematic design phase to construction phase on a weekly or bi-weekly basis as required for each project.
- Cross reference preconstruction schedules to identify potential log jams in design and/or estimating and adjust schedules accordingly by prioritizing and communicating required changes with the CDM team members.
- Participate in owner meetings during the development of design when required
- Ensure that all projects hold a hand off meeting to ensure proper transition to the operations team
- Maintain the historical database to improve the consistency, effectiveness, and efficiency of preconstruction services
- Lead and manage the city approval process and maintain an accurate weekly pulse on all projects in for permit submittal and be prepared to report on as needed at weekly meetings with CDM’s
- Comply with all work-related deadlines
- BS or MS in Construction Engineering or Construction Management.
- A minimum of five years of applicable estimating or construction management experience working for a GC on commercial construction projects
- Extensive experience estimating and managing projects with design build delivery being preferred
- Proficient with scheduling, estimating, and bid solicitation software as well as Microsoft Office
- Extensive knowledge of construction costs and design build engineering principles
- Strong attention to detail, organization skills, controlled sense of urgency, and the ability to manage multiple, competing priorities
- Confidence in leading estimating teams of varying sizes, and be capable of leading hard bid, negotiated and conceptual estimates
- Possess strong communication and interpersonal skills and be confident in his/her ability to develop and manage the entire preconstruction process
- Effective presentation skills
- Strong leadership and coaching skills and the ability to influence others to ensure high performing teams
- Team focused with initiative to work individually
- Disciplined work ethic
- Service attitude
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Lead, manage, accountability
- Takes ownership
- Fosters teamwork
- Serves as an example to others
Is a good promoter of all things Downing, both internally and externally
Be an ambassador of Downing’s safety motto: One Person. One Team. One Family